Monday, November 3, 2014

Week 5 (Oct. 20): You haven't really lost your marbles!

Greetings, everyone!

Let me just start out by saying that my physical appearance is degrading. Big time. Basically my hair is an Afro. Everyday. No matter what I do with it, at the end of the day it just looks bad. It's so humid here! But the blessing is, I don't have to do my hair in the mornings. Because its no use. Also I'm still wearing my glasses 24/7 and I look like a grandpa in them. It's a little bothersome though because every time I blink, my eyelashes brush against my glasses. Basically my life is really hard. Just kidding.  And, the senior couples here are extremely generous with their kitchen skills. There is a constant supply of cookies, brownies, cake, muffins, anything/everything to eat. And I can't control myself. So I just eat. And eat. And eat. At this rate, I'll just be a big round ball when I get home. But thank goodness I'm on a mission and don't even care about what I look like. Good luck recognizing me. Okay. Enough worldly talk.


Welcome to Kirtland!

Heavenly Father is so good to us. He placed us here in a beautiful world where were we are able to enjoy so many of His creations! I love it. While the world overall is beautiful, however, I think Kirtland may be the most beautiful. At least out of any of the places I've been. But seriously. I die every time I see the trees. And it's kind of created a little addiction for me. I'm constantly picking up leaves. Like, I go on leaf hunts. One time we were going into our house and our arms were loaded with different things--loaded to the point where even walking was a struggle. But, I spotted the perfect leaf. And I needed it to add to my collection. So I somehow managed to bend down and pick it up. Sure, I had cans of beans falling out of my bags and rolling away, but I got the leaf. So don't worry. But really, it's concerning. And it's actually a little embarrassing. At our district meeting, I was opening up my journal, and a butt load of leaves fell out of it. Perfect.


The beauty is unreal!

Our main focus in our area has been working with Less Actives and Members. In Preach my Gospel, there is a whole section on the importance of working with members. It is so important! I never really thought about it before, but members are a big part of missionary work. Especially when it comes to befriending recent converts. Joining our church is a big change, and it can be very uncomfortable for some. But if they have friends in the ward, it will be an easier/more welcoming experience.  So go out of your way to say hi to investigators and recent converts! They need it. Because not everyone can be as cool and popular as Cameron. 

We have a baptism this Saturday! I'm so excited. Sandy is in her 50s I think. She's is the best. She is so aware of all of the blessings she has in life, and recognizes all the good that comes from living in a way that Heavenly Father would have her live. She's sacrificed so much to make this change in her life. She's just great. Oh and I'm playing the violin at her baptism. So yikes. Hopefully my screeching won't take away from the spirit. I'm borrowing someone's old violin from the ward. Also, I was asked to play at a training meeting last week but then just ended up playing the piano and singing. Scary.

Speaking of singing, we went to visit the 96 year old roller skater again this week and thought it would be a good idea to sing with her. It was the funniest thing that's happened so far. I forgot what we were singing, but Sister de Kock and I were on one line, then when we were holding out a note, we heard sweet little Rosie just going at it, like 3 measures ahead of us. I couldn't contain the laughter that was boiling up inside of me. Then we all just started cracking up, and Rosie explained how Heavenly Father loved it. She decided that we should sing a trio in church, with her singing the bass part. And I almost knocked her over when I went to hug her. I had to tilt her back up. It was scary. She's a delicate lady. 

We've been doing lots of service each week, and I absolutely love it. It just feels good helping others. Plus I love cleaning. So it's a win-win situation. We're working on making some table legs for Madame M Because apparently there's room in her apartment for another table even though there really isn't. But it's been fun! We've been working with skill-saws, table-saws, all kinds of saws. I love it. Are you proud, Dad?

It's so good hearing from everyone! I appreciate all the emails. Laker needs to stop hurting himself. It makes me sad. I'm guessing it was on his all on his left side?  Mom, I'm glad SLC was fun and that you got to meet up with your friends! So fun. And I didn't know you were showing houses already! That's so neat. Way to be. My clothes are good. I'm a little cold, but it's toughening me up. I'll look into buying a big coat. Tell Clark he's silly for leaving his wallet, but I'm glad that he's enjoying being home. And taking Lucy to seminary. I warned him. Carter is a genius. I think he literally received half of my brain. 

Thank you for all the updates! And  special thanks to Aunt Karen! You are so thoughtful and generous! How is it that you can still take care of me even when I'm on the other side of the country. Thank you so much. My companion and the other sisters that I live with loved the picture of Ty. So funny. Thank you, I love you. 

Inspirational quote for you all: "Sometimes when you think you lost your marbles, you really haven't." How's that for food for thought? A girl in my ward gave me a drawing with that quote on it. So sweet.

I love you all! Have a good week, or I'll be very angry.

Love,
Sister Livingston

My house.  It's cute.


A day in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment