Monday, November 3, 2014

Week 7: Lucky to be a Missionary (and part of the Cleveland Brown's football team)!

Hello my loves! How are you all doing? I didn't exactly get an email from you guys. </3 (broken heart).  But that's okay. I still love you all. (Phyllis here---not sure why she didn't get an email.  It is in my sent box.  I resent it. Hopefully she finds it.)

This week was great! It was pretty much Christmas all week long. We got so many referrals! Referrals are the best because you don't have to spend precious time finding people to teach, and you know that they are already interested and wanting to meet with the missionaries. And you guys guess what! I'm a missionary. So I get to meet with them.

We had a lesson with one of them on Saturday. He's in his 60's and believes that God is there and that Christ died for us, but he is having trouble increasing his faith. So we just talked about faith. He was bawling the entire lesson and it broke my heart! I just wanted to give him a big hug. But I didn't. He so badly wants to feel more and feel of God's love for him, but he doesn't. He's had a rough life but has the greatest heart! He hates to see people hurt, and he loves helping and serving others. Such a good example. We're teaching him again tonight and I can't wait! 

We saw Madame M again this week. She is so kind! I love her, even if she does have creepy toenails. She always offers us food or a glass of juice, but it's a little sketchy so we always say that we have to get going. But last week she was like, "Well take it for the road!" She gave us two loaves of bread. Cinnamon swirl and Sourdough. We took them home, opened the bags and a cute little family of flies flew out. Nastayyyy! But she is so generous even when she doesn't have much to give. Also we're still building the table legs. So we took the table top and as I was carrying it, I cut myself on a staple or something that I didn't see. So I have blood dripping down my hands, then Sister de Kock decided that we should hold hands while praying because Madame M was kind of already holding my arm. Euhhhh... So I just held Madam M's hand and tried to not get blood all over her. She said the opening prayer in Relief Society yesterday! That was very touching. Now if only we could get her to commit to baptism. Sheesh! Also whenever you leave her apartment, you can't get the smell off of you. So you smell like Madame M. And it's not the most pleasant smell I've ever smelled. 

Last week we took a family on a tour, and one of the brothers in the family just got called to serve in the MARYLAND BALTIMORE MISSION! I told him to be companions with Cameron. Except he's not Spanish speaking so maybe not. Also some linebackers or something from the CLEVELAND BROWNS came to the historic site. I'm basically on the team now. You're welcome. 

So far my biggest challenge of being a missionary has been not being able to hold babies. Brother Decker has THE cutest little girl (with the exception of Kyrie and Bryn). Every time I see her I just want to pick her up and play with her. It's tough. Also this may seem a bit rude, but I'm a little scared of one of the ladies in my ward. She's 30 but has the mind of a 13  year old. And I think she's in love with me. I'm not joking. I've always tried to be nice to her, but every time I see her she becomes more and more comfortable around me as I become more and more uncomfortable around her. Like when I see her across the room I have to hope she won't see me, otherwise she won't leave my side. But she always spots us. Then next thing ya know, she's glued to your side with her creepy little smile. She does the creepy smile on purpose. I'm not just being mean.

I've been asked to play violin at Zone Conference. Yikes! I think I might die. Luckily the song is easy schmeasy. I Need Thee Every Hour. And it's a very pretty arrangement. I'll be on violin, another sister will be on flute and another one on piano. Hopefully I don't mess it up. Also I get to play violin in the  Kirtland Temple for a Christmas program! How many people get that experience?? Not many. Why am I so blessed? I don't deserve all this. 

We went on exchanges on Friday. It was a very good experience and I was able to learn a lot. I was with Sister Smith, the sister who sang at Sandy's baptism while I played violin,and we stayed in my area. We taught a few lessons and raked leaves for dayssss. We had to be back in our homes by 5 though because of Halloween. President wanted us to be extra safe. Also apparently it gets so cold here that when you blink outside, your eyelids freeze together. So that'll be interesting. And I guess last year there was a time when the missionaries weren't allowed to leave their homes for 4 days because it was so cold. So good luck surviving, Jayne. 

1.  Sis Smith!

 Because it's getting a little colder, we don't take as many tours now. For example, yesterday we didn't take any. Therefore, we were stuck in the chat room all day. And it was Fast Sunday, too. Rough. Just kidding. Kind of. I actually love chat though. It's so neat because we get to talk to people from all around the world. We've talked with people from New Zealand, Australia, Haiti, Islam, Mexico, Russia, and all over the states. I'm just waiting for someone from KOREA to come on so that I can send Chancey a referral. Because I think that would possibly be one of the coolest things ever. The downfall of chat though, is that you don't always get to see the fruits of your labor. We start the discussions, then if they want, we get their address and send the local missionaries to them. Then we lose contact with them sometimes. But that's okay. Planting seeds is good too!


2.  It's supposed to be cute, so let's just pretend it is!

We've gone to a Bible Study a few times now, and for some reason the people there absolutely LOVE my and Sister de Kock's input. Like, a lot! It's actually kind of weird how much they like it. Little do they know, we mostly just quote general authorities. Hopefully something will come out of that. It's always a good experience. Last week we were reading in Acts chapter 5, and I love the attitudes that Peter and John have. They are such good examples to me. Here they are, being beaten, persecuted and sent to jail for teaching about Christ, and what do they do? Rejoice in the fact that they are counted worthy to suffer for Christ's name. How amazing. I've been lucky and haven't had too many negative or bad experiences so far, but I know that they will come. It is my hope that I will be able to look at it with the perspective that Peter and John had and rejoice that I am lucky enough to be here serving a mission as a representative of Christ. This truly is God's work, and I love it.


3.  Even missionaries brush their teeth.

I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week.
Love,
Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment