Monday, November 3, 2014

Week 6 (Oct. 27): From the Perspective of Anne Frank

Dear family, friends, and loved ones

How are you all doing? Life here in Kirtland is as great as ever. Mom, it's funny you say you feel like there wouldn't be many members here because when I first got here, I thought the exact opposite. I felt like it'd be filled with members just because I'm at a VC. I kind of thought it'd be like Temple Square or something. But it's not. You were right. As always.

So Sister S was baptized on Saturday! It was the greatest day on the mission yet. She looked so pure coming out of the water. You could tell she was just filled with pure joy. And so was I. My cheeks were dying because I was smiling so much, but I couldn't stop! So happy. So excited. Funny story though, we were planning on playing Mormon Messages while Sister S was getting dressed, but we couldn't find the ones we had planned on playing. So Sister de Kock just clicked on a random one, then we left to go see how Sister S was doing. Brother Decker (Have I told you about him? Ward mission leader. Coolest guy ever.) came out to the hall with his baby and we asked how the Mormon Message was. He was like, "Well, it's about someone contemplating suicide, but it could be worse." Ahhhh so dumb. Here we are, playing a suicidal clip at a baptism. Perfect.  We were a little embarrassed to go back in. Good thing every Mormon Message ends with an uplifting message though, even if it starts out sad. Too bad for us though, the internet stopped working and we had to stop before we got to the good stuff. Aye yi yi. But we later found out that it was the exact thing that one of the investigators who came  needed to hear. So It was good for her. But basically I want to have a baptism every single day of my life. I'm okay with the rate we're at though.


Sis. S!

  
So I never realized this, but it is a scary thing going to eat at member's homes for dinner. I always thought it would be the greatest thing while on a mission, because we have some pretty good chefs in Lake of the Pines and the Auburn Stake. But no. Its scary. At least for some members. And we mostly get fed by those who are a little messier than what's ideal. Like sometimes you find rat poop in their house, then they offer you a meal and you eat it and just hope that there isn't any poop in your chili. And it's such a blessing when a member who was going to make you oatmeal salmon (what does that even mean?) has to cancel. Happy day. But I love their willingness to serve the missionaries! The people here are so humble and thoughtful. And I'm just a spoiled missionary complaining about rat feces chili. 

Sister de Kock is the best. Sometimes I think we get along too well because we can hardly make it through a Hymn without laughing. So we now have to sing looking away from each other. Also, I guess I'm really bad with names. During a lesson with a less active named Sister Clarkson, I was praying and said "We're grateful to be here with Sister S." Then one day we took an investigator on a tour. Afterwards, Sister de Kock and I were praying and I was like, "We're so grateful for Alicia" Then I hear Sister de Kock laughing and I realize I said the wrong name. So I correct myself and say, " Alice, and her desire to find out for herself the truthfulness of the gospel. " (or something along those lines). And Sister de Kock is still laughing! I was confused. After the prayer was over, I looked up at her and she had tears coming down her face from laughing so much. Turns out the investigator's name is Janice. Not Alicia. Not Alice. Janice. Then whenever we would pray for Janice we'd start to laugh again. It's bad. 


Sis. Smith and me.  She sang, 
I "violined" as Sis. de Kock would say.

Also, when we're in the car, we blast the heat so that it will feel good when we go outside. We call it "girding up our loins". I have no idea why. But it's really funny to us. Neither of us knew exactly what it meant though, so when we were on the computers, we searched "gird up your loins" on lds.org and found a video. I would highly recommend watching it. 

Don't worry Eric, I'm wearing my seat belt.


And I'm a newb with all the history stuff here. So before a tour, we take those present to watch a film that covers the 7 years the saints were in Kirtland, told from the perspective of Ann Whitney. One day when I was introducing the video, I said it was from the perspective of Anne Frank. But guess what you guys! It's actually not told from a Jewish girl who hid in a basement! Not even close. Nice try, Jayne.  But anyways, I love it here. The more I learn about the saints, the more love I feel towards them. They gave up so much in order to allow the church to grow. I feel so blessed to be serving here. I love it. It's so cool because you'd think that all the tours are the same, but they really aren't. Each one is different, but the same spirit is felt.


They really like me here so they gave me a nickname.  Or they just don't know how to spell Livingston.

I got all the pictures! Loved them so much. Whoever took the pictures of Clark's return did a great job. I love all the facial expressions. Everyone looked so happy! And Kyrie and Bryn's outfits were the best. I'm glad my cutout was there. I'm a midget. But that's okay. Loved hearing about all the updates. I'm glad Dallan is okay from the crazy Placer shooting! Sheesh. Scary.

Answers: 
1. The Google stuff would be for jlivin95@yahoo.com
2. My eye is doing much better. And I've been using the Frankincense! The Mission president's wife wants me to get in contact with an ophthalmologist so can I get our insurance providers number?
3. I played and sang "I will" on the piano, and "I Feel my Savior's Love" on the violin. It's like I pretend I'm talented when I'm really not.
4. The ward here is great! No elders, just sisters and seniors. I love it. There are some very interesting people, but for the most part, it's great. Not sure about how large it is, I feel like it's about the same size as LOP but I don't really know.
4. There are 4 of us living in the little white house. Sister de Kock and I, then Sister Holmes and Guinn. I love them all. 
5. "Office days" (not really an office, I was just pretending) are when we're at the Visitors Center and we're not giving tours. We go on chat and take phone calls for everyone who has a question and goes to mormon.org to find an answer. So when you're chatting with people on mormon.org, you're chatting with missionaries. :) Pretty cool. And the other sister in that picture, that's Sister de Kock! My companion. From South Africa, not New Zealand. Close enough though. Kind of. 
6. It's really not too cold here yet! I'm going to some heavy duty winter store later today though. But I'm fine as of now, thank you. 
7. The girl that gave me the marble drawing was about 13? Not really sure. 

I love you all! And Heavenly Father loves you even more. So much love. Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment