Saturday, July 25, 2015

Week 44: Blame it on sugar withdrawals

Hello! This week was great! Sound familiar? Probably, seeing as all weeks are great when you're a missionary. Even when they're not great, they're still great. You know?

We had exchanges on Friday, Sister Burns and I stayed in my area. We went to see our investigator who has been struggling a little bit. She just has a lot going on in her life right now, so we had some men in our ward come and give her a blessing! And they were SO good to her. They were genuine, caring, thoughtful and sincere. As we were getting ready to leave, one of the men said, "We'd love to see you at church on Sunday!" She's always been a little hesitant, and she still was, but she had made some new friends that day and was excited to come. Then on Saturday, we were going to go over there to mow her lawn for her, but they both offered to! They are both pretty young fathers of multiple kids, but they chose to take time out of their day to fellowship and serve our investigator. Then on Sunday, she came to church and was happy and excited to see them. It just made me so happy! I have taught numerous lessons with a member present before, but I am so grateful for these two men. It reminded me once again, of how key members are in missionary work. Really, it's impossible without them. So, keep that in mind. :)

In the Site Director's office, there are always large bowls of candy/pretzels/chocolate/sugary things. Sister Finlinson and I spend quite some time in there trying to figure out how we can help the Sisters and improve what is being done at the Visitor's Center. And I don't have much self control. So I eat. A lot. Elder Wynder, our Site Director, thinks it's hilarious and always teases me about it. Except he also gets mad at me because I haven't gained as much weight as I deserve to and in his words, the second he thinks about eating chocolate, he gains 5lbs. So I told him that I was going to go a full week without eating anything from his office, and let me tell you. He's holding me to it. And not only that, but he's making others hold me to it as well. And not just other Sisters, but people I take on tours and members from the Stake. Allow me to explain:

On Sunday we had a fireside where our new Mission President spoke to us. I was conducting. So we had one of the Recent Converts in the Stake bear her testimony, then BRAD WILCOX (he came to the sites) (( Elder Edward Dube came, too)) bore his. After the recent convert bore her testimony, President leaned over to me and said, "Remind me of her name?" But I thought he said, "Remind me of your name" so I said, "Sister Livingston!" Then after Brad Wilcox spoke to us, President got up and kept referring back to "Sister Livingston's" testimony and conversion story. I felt so horrible! Eventually, the recent convert corrected him. Then after he spoke, I got up to announce the rest of the program and explained how it was my bad that he called her Sister Livingston. Everyone thought it was pretty funny for some reason. Then Elder Wynder got up to say the closing prayer. Before he prayed though, he said, "I have two things I'd like to say. First off, There are refreshments that will be served in the view room. And Second, Sister Livingston has sworn off Chocolate for a week and is having withdrawals, hence the mistake. So if you could all help her out and  make sure she doesn't eat any, that would be great." Then, everyone laughed. A lot. I'm not sure if it was at me or with me, but it was definitely there, and it was hilarious. He's never going to let my love for chocolate slide! Mom, he's actually threatened to email you a couple of times to tell you that I need an intervention. Hahaha so funny. So yeah. I've gone 2 whole days now without any chocolate/candy. Definitely the best I've done on my mission so far. And it's really boring. Come Sunday, I'll be in the office back to my usual business. But this time, with the bowl of chocolate in my lap. 

Aaaand that's my week. I love you all. I appreciate your examples and support, and I'll see you next year! By the way, Congrats to ET for making it to his year mark on Thursday!!! (PS: ET=Elder Trentman) ((in case you didn't know)). 

I know that Christ lives. He has been there for me through it all. I've come to know that he lives in a much more real sense than ever before, living on these sacred grounds. That is why I'm so grateful I chose to serve a mission. Because it's allowed my relationship with  him to grow so much. See how selfish I am? Lets blame it on my withdrawals. 

I love you guys. Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Sister Livingston

No comments:

Post a Comment