Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Week 13: The Spirit is Powerful

Yes! I know the Sisters in Alta Sierra. They came into Schoolhouse a few times while I was working and I'd always talk to them at church and different activities. Not the elders though. Gross. 

Thank you for getting the sandals for Sister de Kock! She's not expecting much for Christmas because her family is all the way in South Africa so hopefully she'll actually like those. I think she will. Maybe. So thank you. Don't worry about gift cards, I don't go shopping all that much and we hardly ever go out to eat. I don't have any other requests, thank you though. As for speaking to you on Christmas, we'll be at the Decker's to Skype you guys. How does 12 my time work for you guys? That'd be 9am for you. Sorry if that's too early, we have to find a time that works for Sister de Kock's family too. I just can't believe that I'll be talking to you guys in a WEEK. So crazy. Time is flying by. It's weird. 

That story about Jett just makes me want to give him a big fat hug. So sad. But also so touching. So I don't know if the feeling I get when thinking about it is happy or sad. Probably sad. Definitely sad. (Phyllis here--Jett got left at the church by a carpool group.  It was a confusing night.  All ended up well, but he was sad and scared for a bit, so he went and stood by Jayne's plaque in the hall.  Being with her picture comforted him.)

We haven't seen Ricky since church last week, he's been sick I guess. We're both a little nervous about him though. He's made some interesting comments so we're not sure if he's doing this for the right reasons. And the guy who admitted to staring? No idea who he was or where he came from. Yesterday though, something similar happened. It was really funny. We were sitting, monitoring the nativities and this man come running up to us and says, "You're missionaries? I need to take a picture!" Then he whips out his phone and takes individual pictures of us and says, "Now, I may never see you again, but at least I will always remember you." I had to try extremely hard to refrain from laughing. I guess he has like 8,000 pictures of missionaries. Interesting. 

Madame M is progressing slowly, very slowly, but surely. She doesn't have a phone or anything so it's hard to get solid appointments with her. We usually just go over on Monday and Friday nights and hope she'll be there. Sometimes she is, sometimes she isn't. We're hoping for January now, but it all depends on how often we can see her. So we'll see! Oh, her bird died. We're not sure how. But don't worry, Pepperoni is still alive and well. 

It was Sister de Kock's birthday this weeknon Wednesday! It was fun. Except I realized how little my ward actually likes me because they all LOVE her so much. She's been here for about 7 months so she knows everyone really well. It's kind of hard at times actually. But we had SO many member meals this week because everyone wanted to celebrate with her. During one dinner, they told us each to sit at then ends of the table. So I sat and one and she sat at one. The rest of the family all crowded around her and I was left to enjoy some soup on my own way down at the other end of the able. And that's where they were keeping all of the breadsticks! But it's okay, I'm over it.

We went on exchanges this week! It was a really good experience. I was with Sister Derrick, Sister de Kock's ex-companion. And we were in her area so I left my area for the first time! I really liked it. We went and saw a recent convert and it was just crazy. We were winterizing her house, putting plastic over all the windows, and she was just giving out demands all over the place. "Move, I'll do it." "Hammer!" "Ah crud, there's no nails." Oh, it was great. And all the while, her sicknasty dog was barking for days and climbing all over me. Didn't love it. We went into her room to do her windows, and guess what! She, too, has the same bed that Lucy and Madame M have. I think it's time to get rid of that bed. Apparently it's the bed of the crazies in Ohio. I thought that was pretty funny.

So while we were doing service for her, she was yelling, very demanding and not the most pleasant. But then after we finished, we showed her the "He is the Gift" video and everything totally changed. She was quiet and happy. Even the dog was quite and just laid down. The spirit is powerful! It really does change people. That's what I love about being a missionary. The change that comes over people when they feel the spirit is just an amazing sight to see, and we get the opportunity to see that more than usual. It's such a blessing to me. I really do love this work and I love you all. 

I don't really remember this week at all, so the end. 

Love,
Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment